Finding Your Feet
Induction Workshop for Newly Elected Councillors
- Category: Councillor Development and Governance
- Date: No current presentations
- Times: 10.30 - 4.00
- Cost: £130 members of NW Employers/£169 non member organisations + VAT
- Venue: North West Employers, Manchester
New councillors will have the opportunity to meet and discuss their experiences so far with newly elected councillors from other local authorities throughout the North West region. The programme is designed to enable councillors to consider the wider picture and will in no way repeat the necessary and often inward looking induction conducted by local authorities. Specific objectives include:
- Gaining a broader understanding of the role of a local councillor
- Developing participants' grasp of the wider political context faced by councillors
- Considering various strategies for securing their own position in the council and their group (if any)
- Gaining a fresh perspective on the role by engaging with a relatively new but experienced councillor from a North West authority
- Developing a clearer view of the pressures faced by all councillors and how to deal with them
- Learning more about themselves and how they might influence decisions.
The sessions will be very interactive (no lectures) and will be facilitated by Ian Bottrill, NW Employers' associate and former Leader of Warwickshire County Council (which was in NOC throughout his 12 years as leader). Ian is a leading member of the Leadership Academy delivery team and leads on the Community Leadership module. Ian has run these induction sessions for us over several years and they have always been very enjoyable and well received.
- What is this job really all about
- The Changing political scene - keeping your head above water
- Securing and/or developing your place in the group and in the council
- My story (A councillor elected last year talks about their experience)
- Coping with the pressure - organising yourself
- Power, control, influence
- Getting help and assistance
- Closing Remarks/Review
Who should attend: New councillors. Existing Councillors who feel they would benefit from a refresher are also welcome.